I started quilting in 1987. My parents were coming to visit and I thought it made sense to begin my quilting career with a queen-size quilt. Yes, I finished it. No, it was not good. It was highly improved when a lightbulb over the bed exploded and lit certain sections on fire, melting the lovely polyester batting.
For years I made traditional quilts and branched out into making fiber art around 2005. The process and challenge of coming up with an idea and problem solving while creating is energizing. I particularly like having an idea, searching for the perfect picture(s) for that idea, fracturing it and putting it back together in hopefully interesting and sometimes meaningful ways. I’m lucky enough to have the opportunity of sometimes working with my husband’s photographs. The collaboration of his eye and how I can interpret that vision can be exciting.
I currently live in Saratoga, California with my husband Curt and dog Cooper.
- Pacific International Quilt Festival, 2012 (Best Use of Embellishment wall quilt), 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 (Honorable Mention: Innovative), 2017
- Road to California, 2014 (Best Visual Image), 2015 (Honorable Mention: Art, Naturescape), 2016 (2nd Place: Art, Critter), 2017
- San Diego Women of the West Quilt Walk, 2014
- Quilting LIVE Atlanta, 2014
- International Quilt Festival/Houston, 2014 (3rd Place Digital Imagery), 2015, 2016
- AQS Paducah, 2016 (2nd place: Small Wall Quilts, First Entry in an AQS Paducah), 2017
- Jazz Impressions, San Jose Museum of Quilts and Textiles, 2016
- Breakout: Quilt Visions 2016, Visions Art Museum (Hand Flair Award in honor of Rita Zerull)
- MQX Quilt Festival – New England 2017 (Judge’s Choice, Scott Murkin)
- Threads of Resistance touring exhibition, 2017-2018
- Junctures, San Jose Museum of Quilts and Textiles, 2018
- Quilt National ’19
- Dynamic Fabric Art Portraits with Esterita Austin DVD, 2013
- 150th Anniversary California State Parks Online Quilt Show, 2014
- Quiltmania, May/June 2014
- Quilting Arts, August/September 2014, Issue 70
- International Quilt Festival Quilt Scene, Winter 2014/2015
- Quilting Arts, December 2014/January 2015, Issue 72 (cover)
- Quilts, Winter 2015, Volume 36 Number 2
- Rikstäcket, Winter 2015
- Quilting Arts, June/July 2015, Issue 75
- Quilt Visions 2016: Breakout Catalog. San Diego: Visions Quilt Museum, 2016.
- American Quilter, July 2016, Vol. 32, No. 4
- Threads of Resistance catalog. Artist Circle Alliance, 2017.
- Santa Clara Valley Quilt Association
- Studio Art Quilters Associates (SAQA)
- Visions Art Museum
- San Jose Museum of Quilts and Textiles